This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
The interplay between regulatory enforcement and the behaviour of business organisations has become central in my research over the past years. Using evidence from a qualitative empirical study among 40 firms in the waste industry in the Netherlands, my PhD thesis aimed at understanding how important the threat of legal sanctions is in motivating firms to comply with the law compared to other forms of public and private regulation.
Questions that I aim to answer in my research are: How can we effectively influence the behaviour of business firms and individuals within businesses and how can we prevent corporate and white-collar crime from occurring? What works best and why under what conditions? How do public and private forms of monitoring and enforcement interact?
Experience key words: Regulation and governance, corporate and white-collar crime, corporate compliance, corporate social responsibility, public policy
- Wingerde, C.G. van (2016). Deterring Corporate Environmental Crime: Lessons from the Waste Industry in the Netherlands. In T. Spapens, R. White & W. Huisman (Eds.), Environmental Crime in Transnational Context (Green Criminology) (pp. 193-207). Farnham Surrey: Ashgate. Read it here.
- Wingerde, C.G. van (2015). The limits of environmental regulation in a globalized economy. Lessons from the Probo Koala case. In J.G. van Erp & W. Huisman (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of White-Collar and Corporate Crime in Europe (pp. 260-275). Oxford: Routledge. Read it here.
- Bunt, H.G. van de & Wingerde, C.G. van (2015). 'We are all going to be rich.' A case study of the Dutch Real Estate Fraud. In W. Huisman, J.G. van Erp & G. Vande Walle (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of White-Collar and Corporate Crime in Europe (pp. 304-317). Oxford: Routledge. Read it here.
- Wingerde, C.G. van (2012). De afschrikking voorbij. Een empirische studie naar afschrikking, generale preventie en regelnaleving in de Nederlandse afvalbranche. (Beyond deterrence: punishment, deterrence, and compliance in the waste industry in the Netherlands). Nijmegen: Wolf Legal Publishers. Read it here.
- Bunt, H.G. van de, Erp, J.G. van & Wingerde, C.G. van (2007). Hoe stevig is de piramide van Braithwaite? Tijdschrift voor Criminologie, 49 (4), 386-399. Read it here.