This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
My research interests are oriented at international comparisons, notably on the relation between cultural and social developments and policies on crime and insecurity in European cities, penal systems and on global criminology.
1. Critical criminology – Visions from Europe (London: Sage 1997).
2. ‘Reversing The Punitive Turn’ (in: Daems, Snacken & Van Zyl Smit eds. (2013) European penology? Oxford: Hart, pp.339-360).
3. ‘Critical Cosmopolitanism and Global Criminology’ (in: Nelken ed.(2011) Comparative Criminal Justice and Globalization. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp.125-144).
4. ‘The Road to Dystopia? Changes in the Penal Climate of the Netherlands’ [with David Downes], (in: Tonry & Bijleveld eds.(2007) Crime and Justice in the Netherlands. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, pp.31-72).
5. ‘Public Safety and the Management of Fear’, (Theoretical Criminology 9  3: 289-305).